Site5

Menu

Support Forums

Translating the homepage.

Home Forums SimpleCorp Translating the homepage.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 57 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  chanyuan 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author

Guido
    Participant

I can send you the homepage template file, can I reach you via your website?
    Did you adjust the look and feel from your homepage a lot? So the core files? Because I have used the original SimleCorp files of course. I guess not, seems pretty original.

I will send you the example code from my website too so you will see how I created that homepage boxes.

Guido

TokerCoughin
    Participant

What do you mean can you reach me via my website ?

I did adjust the look & feel of the homepage, but not all that much. Really just CSS stuff, and some custom stuff before the footer.

Looks good, I would definitely like to see the code.

Thanks Guido.

Guido
    Participant

You know, I have uploaded a zip containing the homepage template and the text you can add on your homepage:
    http://www.webmastergroningen.nl/homepage.zip

1) Upload both files from my temp link
    2) Create static page and select my template
    3) Paste the text from the zip (English text is added, you need to add the French text)
    4) Add the new homepage to your menu
    5) Select this page as static homepage in WP Dashboard Settings > Reading

Guido

Btw, is your newsletter a plugin (widget) or hardcoded in homepage? Did not take care of that yet.

TokerCoughin
    Participant

The newsletter thing was hard-coded in by hand, not a plugin. I will be able to take care of that.

This looks simple enough, I will be able to test this on wednesday and will get back to you then. ( I’m working for another division mondays and tuesdays. ) But this seems to be exactly what I want… I’ll let you know how it goes though.

And will come to you for any questions or concerns, thanks so much for helping me get to this point though, I think I’m almost there 🙂

Thanks Guido. I’ll keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Chris

TokerCoughin
    Participant

Hm, here’s an update. I had some time just now at work to test the code you supplied me with, and it works pretty damn well. I’m actually quite sold on this, I think I will certainly use that method to accomplish the translation.

A few questions I have about it though:

Where do you define the “[one_half]” shortcode, and why do you use those instead of divs or something ?

How did you generate the template file ? Like how did you know which parts to leave in, and which to omit ? I ask because I have another site I manage with a similar translation issue. It’s using a different theme, the theme is called Target, where the homepage is similarly generated by the theme options, and I’ll have to implement a similar solution.

is there an easy way to tell what I should copy into a template, and what I should try and put on the page ? If you’ve got a spare moment, would you mind taking a look at it, and perhaps walk me through it a little bit ?

Thanks in advance,

I appreciate all your help so much Guido, you’re truly saving my ass here.

Guido
    Participant

You are welcome, I like helping you. And you’re (or the site is) from Canada, I like that country ;-).

I used the php file template.page.fullwidth for creating my homepage template + added the code from slider and blurb from SimpleCorp’s default homepage file (home).

I use the shortcode because you cannot add a div when creating/changing a page or post because this will mess up te site. Besides that, the shortcode is part of this theme (it has many) so it works well.

Note: when I used your plugin I was not able to change the default language in plugins setttingspage and I was not able to select a template (on the right) while creating/changing a page. So your plugin has some bugs in it. I guess because of the lack of updates.

Guido

TokerCoughin
    Participant

I am indeed from Canada, and thank you, Canada likes you too 🙂

Alright, sounds good. I’ll try to complete this ones translation, and perform the same kind of setup on my other domain. Is there maybe a contact email I can reach you at if I have questions further ? ( I don’t want to post on the S5 site on a non S5 Theme. ).

Also, what do you mean by you can’t change the default language, and not able to pick a template while creating a page… ?

Thanks again.

Guido
    Participant

I prefer using this forum but if it’s another non s5 theme you can contact me via my website (see profile) but I cannot garantee I can help you since I don’t know that other template.

Your translate plugin has it’s own settingspage. On top of that page I can set a default language. Default language is English > my Dashboard is changed to English too. When I change that to my native language nothing happens, Dashboard stays English.
    And when you create or edit a Page, you can select a (page)template on the right. But when activating ‘your’ plugin this window is gone, so I cannot select another (page) template there.

Guido

TokerCoughin
    Participant

Sounds good. I will contact you through your website if anything. And I understand that because it’s not a site5 theme, you may not be able to help me. But I assure you it’s a VERY similar setup to the SimpleCorp theme, and it will require almost exactly the same setup. So hopefully we can work this out…

The settings page doesn’t need to be translated, that’s fine. But when I create or edit a page, I probably need to be able to select a page template.. In fact I have before, using my plugin, so why do you think I can’t now ?

Thanks again Guido.

TokerCoughin
    Participant

Also, do you think it might be possible to have the homepage’s SLIDER in the page field? So that the language switcher can toggle different content in the slider? I mean, instead of having the same php that calls the slider in the template, to just have the structure instead, and code the slider on the wordpress page itself. If not, that’s fine. It’s not that important.

And for reference sake, here’s the other site that I’m trying to fix with this solution:

http://www.eriksonmusic.com

It uses the same plugin, but the theme is Target: http://wordpress.org/themes/target

Thanks Guido.

Guido
    Participant

First post:
    I was not able to select a page template on the right while editing a page, when your translation plugin is activated. BUT, just de-activated and re-activated your plugin and now I can select page template again… so forget it ;-).
    And your plugin forces the WP Dashboard to English language and I’m not able to change that via ‘Default language ISO code’ (see plugin settingspage).
    But if everything works fine at your site, thumbs up!

Second post:
    I have no idea how to make a slider translation-ready… But you can try to add ENG and FR shortcodes to the slider caption, like on a normal page!

Guido

TokerCoughin
    Participant

Oh alright. That seems reasonable. I’m alright with that.

And that’s ok, as I said it’s not necessary that slide is translated too, mainly just the text.

Now, do you think you can take a few moments and help me sort this other site out ? ( with a similar configuration, same plugin, different theme )

The URL is http://www.eriksonmusic.com

It uses the same plugin, but the theme is Target: http://wordpress.org/themes/target

Hopefully you can give me some guidance on the issue! 🙂 Thanks in advance.

Chris Coffin

Guido
    Participant

Hi Chris,

When I got some spare time I will take a look at it. Currently busy with other things and responding to other posts on this forum… I do not even use 1 of these s5 themes myself (build my own themes), but I used some of them in the past. But I cannot stop responding on this forum… like to solve other peoples problems or at least help them ;-).

Guido

TokerCoughin
    Participant

Hey Guido! Was wondering if perhaps you have a little more free time this week, and can help me sort out this other theme 🙂

Let me know. Thanks in advance man.

Sincerely,

Chris

Guido
    Participant

Hi Chris,

I will take a look at that theme, within a few days. To be honest, it was not on top of my list, very busy and it’s not a s5theme.
    I appreciate if you add a (honest) review of 1 (or all) of my themes ;-):
    http://profiles.wordpress.org/Guido07111975/

Guido

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.