A setup guide and general information to help you get the most out of your new theme.
This document covers the installation, set up, and use of this theme and provides answers and solutions to common problems and issues. We encourage you to read this document thoroughly if you are experiencing any difficulties.
Theme Demo: http://demo.s5themes.com/?theme=webfolio
Theme Page: http://www.s5themes.com/theme/webfolio
Set-up guide and general information.
- Getting Started
- Theme Features
- Custom Menus
- Theme Options
- Custom Widgets
- Custom Page Templates
- Setting Post Thumbnail
- PrettyPhoto Lightbox
1. Getting Started
To install this theme, you must have a working version of WordPress already installed. For information in regard to installing the WordPress platform, please see the WordPress Codex – http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress
When you are ready to install a theme, you must first upload the theme files and then activate the theme itself. The theme files can be uploaded in two ways:
- FTP Upload: Using your FTP program, upload the non-zipped theme folder into the /wp-content/themes/ folder on your server.
- WordPress Upload: Navigate to Appearance > Add New Themes > Upload. Go to browse, and select the zipped theme folder. Hit “Install Now” and the theme will be uploaded and installed.
Once the theme is uploaded, you need to activate it. Go to Appearance > Themes and activate your chosen theme.
Once activated, a new menu item will appear on the left admin menu, named “Theme Options”. It’s important to click that menu item and “Save” the default options.
2. Theme Features
The theme comes with a built-in function to replace the default WordPress login logo. To replace the default login logo, replace admin-login-logo.png with your chosen image in the themes /images/ folder. Upload the new image to your server via FTP and the new logo will become visible on the WordPress login screen.
The theme comes with tons of features that you can control easily via our user-friendly theme admin panel. You can find these features below:
- Widget ready ( footer and sidebar )
- Easy to setup, Theme Options Page
- Custom Logo and Favicon supported
- Typography; Google Web Fonts supported
- Custom CSS supported
- Homepage contents supported
- Slider supported
- Built-in Contact form, options and email validation
- Built-in Pagination
- Social icons
- Simple SEO
- Stats code supported
- jQuery Drop-down menu
- jQuery PrettyPhoto Lightbox
3. Custom Menus
While the theme includes one custom menu location, you can also create custom menus for use within the custom menu widget.
To setup your custom menus, navigate to Appearance > Menus.
Give your menu a name and build it up using the available widgets. You can add a variety of items including pages, categories, and custom links. To extend the available widgets, click the screen options tab at the very top of the screen and configure your options. Once you have built your menu, save it, and use it within a custom menu widget Appearance > Widgets
4. Theme Options
The theme comes with an easy-to-use administration panel. You can access it by navigating toAdmin > Theme Options. The theme options are conveniently spread over a number of tabs and each tab contains the options that pertain to a particular area of the theme.
- Your Company Logo: Here you can upload your own logo
- Text as Logo: if there is no image uploaded as a logo, the text written in this field will be displayed
- Page Header Image: you can set a default page header image for entire website.
If you check Enable Google Font and provide the right Google Font Link and Font-Family, the heading’s font will be replaced with the custom one.
4.3 Custom CSS
The theme lets you overwrite its default stylesheet by entering valid CSS code in this textarea.
You can set homepage areas, slider, content boxes, and you can enable/disable each one.
Display Slider?: If this is checked, a slider will be displayed on your homepage. The slider can be populated by adding sliders in Slides > Add New Item. The most important element here is the image you upload, so make sure it’s 960px X 345px for a best display.
Slider Name for Homepage: if you created any collection of slides (named ‘sliders’), you can set which one to appear on the homepage.
The next options: Slider Effect, Animation Speed and Animation Pause Time are slider options and you can play with their settings following the indications written underneath each one to get the desired animation
Here you can fill all your contact information that you want to be displayed on the contact page. Also, you can embed a Google Map in the given textarea.
By filling those fields, you’ll enable the social buttons (twitter, facebook) that are displayed on the left side of the website’s header.
This section is made to help you with a few SEO settings. If you have a dedicated plugin for SEO, those settings will become ineffective.
The content filled in this textarea will be displayed on the left side of the website’s footer. The right side is reserved for Site5’s credits.
This textarea is reserved for code offered by third parties (Google Analytics) that will help you track traffic on your website.
5. Custom Widgets
The theme comes with 3 custom widgets that can be used to configure how your site displays content – they can be found under Appearance > Widgets.
- Custom Twitter Widget: This widget allows you to configure and display your latest Twitter tweets.
- Custom Contact Widget: This widget allows you to configure and display your contact info on the sidebar.
- Custom Video Widget: This widget allows you to configure and display a single video. The widget requires the user to input video embed code taken from either Vimeo, YouTube, or other video sharing sites and can display a short description if required.
6. Custom Page Templates
The theme comes with a number of built-in custom page templates. These templates can be used on individual pages to alter the display or functionality.
- Contact Page Template: The theme contains a simple contact form. To use the form, simply create a page and use the “Contact” page template. The form will automatically insert below any page content. The form includes jQuery validation to enhance user experience and the recipient email can be configured from the theme options.
- Portfolio 3 Colum Fullwidth : The theme contains a full-width 3 column portfolio page template. You can list portfolio items with this template and you can easily add, edit, delete from Admin > Portfolio section.
- FullWidth Page Template: No sidebar on the page, your content will fill-up entire content area.
7. Setting Post Thumbnail
The theme supports the use of featured images. The theme supports auto-resizing of the featured images and so there is only the requirement to specify a single image. Auto-resizing will only occur however when the image is uploaded for the first time, images that have previously been uploaded will not be resized.
To upload a post thumbnail, go to Posts > Add New or open an existing post in editing mode. Locate the Featured Image module and click the Set featured image link.
Clicking the link will open up the usual WordPress image uploader where you will upload your image. Simply make sure that it is either the same size or larger than what the final thumbnail will be. Once you’re done uploading the image, simply click the link that says “Set Featured Image”, which is next to the button to insert it into the post.
For more on how to use the WP2.9+ Post Thumbnail feature you can view this article – http://en.support.wordpress.com/featured-images/
8. PrettyPhoto Lightbox
For adding Lightbox behaviour to a link just add class=”prettyPhoto” to the image Link Class.
The theme comes with +100 shortcodes and a shortcodes panel. You can add, edit, delete any shortcodes to any content. You will see the “Custom Shortcodes” panel at the right top side, when adding, editing any post or page.
You can create any slide content and assign to a specific slider by creating/assigning to a slider in the right meta box from the right.
11. Regenerate Thumbnails
After installing the theme for the first time, you must regenerate the image thumbnails in order to match the theme thumbnail sizes. This process can take a while, so don’t close the page until the process is completed.